Sir John Cass is born
Sir John Cass (1661-1718) was a merchant, politician and philanthropist, who founded a school for fifty boys and forty girls in buildings in the churchyard of St Botolph’s Aldgate in 1709. A foundation to continue his educational work was established in 1748. The foundation continued to fund the school as well as providing for the establishment of the Sir John Cass Technical Institute, which was founded in 1899 and moved into newly built premises at 31 Jewry Street, London, in 1902. It became Sir John Cass College in 1950.